|vtownhistory.org : LOCAL HISTORY|
KEARNS & VIRGINIATOWN, ONTARIO
At a meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Improvement District of McGarry, held in the Township Offices, November 27th 1947, it was moved, seconded and duly carried, appointing Hugh B.Montgomery as Fire Chief instructing him to organise a Volunteer Fire Brigade for the Improvement District of McGarry.
On December 4th, 1947 the McGarry Volunteer Fire Brigade was formed consisting of 30 volunteers, 21 from Virginiatown, 6 from Kearns and 3 from the village of Cheminis.
Members of the first Fire Brigade established on December 10th 1947 were as follows:
-- From the McGarry Township 40th Anniversary booklet.
Many thanks to Lloyd Hart for the news clipping and photograph.
|Feb. 27, 2007: Walter Bannister writes: "A sidebar to that McGarry Fire
crew picture |