Kearns, Ontario, about 1950.
This postcard photograph of Kearns, Ontario, circa 1950, has been enhanced by Bill McGrath.
More info and revisions by Art Brown have been added below Bill's comments.
The Italian family who owned the grocery store until 1986 was the Pugliese family.
A collection of their photos is on this website.
And this from Art Brown: "
My recollections of the right side (south side) of this photo would be, starting from foreground:
- Taxi is in front of Roger Bolduc's taxi stand.
- Kearns newsstand, owned & operated by Finn Sjonnesson, sold to Mrs. Fran McCrea (mother of Jim & Hope McCrea) who later also had the Post Office there after Mrs. Ethel Jeffery gave it up from her home on Kearns Ave.
- Next building was a grocery store owned and operated by Medric Guerin.
- Next building was the Kearns Arms Hotel. While we were there it was owned and operated by Hank Kearns and his wife.
- Next building is Bucovetsky's dry goods store.
- Next was Turcotte's White Rose Service Station owned and operated by Walter and Mrs. Turcotte.
- Next was the Bright Spot restaurant.
- Last on the right was the Ritz Hotel. "